Words cannot adequately describe the overwhelming success of our first major fundraising of the Guam Nikkei Appreciation Night held at the Guam Community College MultiPurpose Auditorium on Friday, October 4, 2013.
Credit for the event is largely due to Dave Okada and Dr. Mary Young Okada for a wonderful and successful turnout. Hats off and sincere thanks to the following:
1. The GCC culinary arts students and their professors for the delicious delicacies prepared for the evening.
2. Ambros, Inc. for the variety of beverages.
3. Florence Kimura Cornwell and Julia Akiyama Cruz Caguioa for the decorations.
4. Louisa Flores Wessling for the display of the antique heirloom kimono that was on display at the front entrance of the auditorium.
5. Ginger Fawcett-Flores for the donation of the round-trip tickets for two to the CNMI, courtesy of Freedom Air.
6. Monica Okada Guzman and Ron Castro for the beautiful original artwork donated as a door prize.
7. Kensuke “Ken” Haga for additional decorations and door prizes.
8. Anthony J. “Malia” Ramirez for the archival exhibit of early to mid-1900’s issei men and families on Guam.
9. The Tajima, Sugiyama, Onedera, Okada, Shimizu families and the Japan Consulate Office, through the hard work of Kikue Cepeda for their exhibits of family histories and general information.
10. Troy and Ryan Imamura for their excellent entertainment.
11. The GCC Japanese Club Students under the guidance of their teacher, Doreen Blas for their origami creations.
12. The ticket committee comprised of Auntie Lole Quan, George and Doreen Okada Pereda, and Kimie Okada.
13. GCC staff that was on hand, one hundred percent for providing the PA system, assistance in set-up of the place as well as the break down after the event.
14. Monte Noda Mesa who was such a lively and energetic emcee.
15. Angelita Sugiyama Paulino Mendiola for the impromptu performance.
16. Lance Kawahara and Toni Onedera Blas for the smooth handling of the beverage section from set-up to closing.
17. Dr. Matilda Naputi Rivera for being such a wonder webmaster for the organization.
18. Board Members, General Membership and families of Guam Nikkei Association for their help in set-up, decorations, and the clean-up at the end of the night.
Domo arigato gozaimasu!
Peter R. Onedera, president, Guam Nikkei Association